Sunday, June 26, 2011

Two Poems

Two Poems








 


Interesting Link:



The two poems that I chose to read and “review” were “ Photograph from September 11” , and “ The Woman Hanging From The Thirteenth Floor Window”. In reading “Photograph from September 11th”, I had a very emotional experience. In both of these poems I felt something from them. Maybe, that it’s sad and depressing and I feel sorry for the event that is happening? First of all September 11th is such a memorable event in our country’s history, and it made such a dramatizing effect to our country; so much that it lead us to war. As soon as Szymborska starts the poem with the first line, it starts the reader off remembering this event. Szymborska state, “ They jumped from the burning floors, one, two , a few more, higher, lower”. This line makes me think of people jumping out of the destroyed burning building, wondering if they would rather risk the chance of dieing as they fell down through the sky, or if they would rather burn to death. In the poem, “ The Woman Hanging From the Thirteenth Floor Window”, the first line states, “ She is the woman hanging from the 13th floor window”. Right there and then I think suicide. As I read along in the poem I imagine a lonely, sad, woman that it very confused about her feelings. She feels the need to jump, but at the same time the memories of her family, and childhood, tell her not to. In reading both of these poems, I enjoyed reading very good poetry. Poetry of Witness to me is an emotional subject, and is a very interesting read.

2 comments: