Saturday, July 9, 2011

Blg Post # 5

The Man I Killed
“ His jaw was in his throat, his upper lip and teeth were gone, his one eye was shut, his other eye was a star-shaped hole, his brows were thin and arched like a woman’s, his nose was undamaged, there was a slight tear at the lobe of one ear, his clean black hair was swept upward into a cowlick at the rear of the skull, his forehead was lightly freckled….” (O’Brien, page 118)

 http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/f6f5/books_feature1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.austinchronicle.com/books/2007

Reading this passage was very powerful and emotional to me, not only did I want to gag half way through, but I could imagine standing there being in O’Brien’s shoes; looking at this horrific scene, thinking who was this person, and how was his life before he died? This passage is important because it contributes to the gory and horrifying part of the story that everyone wishes isn’t there. The writer has a story to tell us, he wants to and needs to express every mental image he has from the time. This passage projects tons of imagery, it keeps you wanting to read all the through even though it is gut wrenching. This passage from the story contributes to the meaning of the story by putting up the physiological memories that O’Brien went through. He felt regret, and he was ashamed.

Some interesting quotes from O'brien

3 comments:

  1. Hello Chelsea, great quote choice; it is one that portrays a lot of imagery. I could not imagine what it would be like to see something of that nature. I also concede with you on that it is an important passage from the book because of its detailed scenery that helps one realize the kind of horrific things Vietnam soldiers went through. Good job of getting right to the point and explaining your reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chelsea,

    I actually decided to write on the same story. I also was gagging throughout most of the story. The reason why I like this story so much was because O'Brien was repeating himself over and over again. I found this to be really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, this story definitely made my stomach turn. But it did so in a way that made you want to keep reading. It was my exact thoughts when you said "...he wants to and needs to express every mental image..." I also went over the importance of sharing your stories to help relieve anxiety and stress. Overall, a very good post!

    ReplyDelete